Thursday, January 23, 2014

Vanilla Chai Almond Butter


I LOVE almond butter.  I use it in smoothies, on fruit, in oatmeal, on "AB"&J sandwiches, you name it. I also have a special place in my heart for chai tea and its rich, creamy, christmasy, deliciousness. Put the two together and you get pure bliss. Almonds never cease to amaze me.  It seems you can do so much with such a tiny little nut (no pun intended). I also love that this butter is completely vegan, is a great source of protein (for you paleo goers out there) and has the option of making it raw (but I roasted the almonds and added a few extra ingredients).  Definitely try this recipe out.  It is super easy, super delicious, and super healthy!


Ingredients for Chai Spice
  • 2 tsp ground ginger
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp Cardamom
  • 1 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp all spice
Mix all ingredients together and store in a small jar.
***Note*** 
  • Winco is seriously the bomb.  I was able to get all the spices (except for cardamom) in their bulk section for about 4 cents each! I didn't use cardemom in my recipe because they did not have it in bulk and the only jar of it I could find was way too big for what I needed.  Mine tasted just fine without it, but if you can find it definitely add it to yours.
  • You will have some chai spice left over.  Just put it into a small jar and keep it for other things like hot cocoa, ice cream, more almond butter, oatmeal, the possibilities are endless!

Ingredients for Almond Butter
  • 2 Cups Raw Almonds
  • 3 tsp chai spice
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla
  • 2 tbs brown sugar
  • 1 tbs raw honey
Directions
*** Makes one small jar***
  • Place almonds evenly on a cookie sheet and bake at 300 degrees for about 15 minutes to roast.  Almonds will be done when they turn golden brown and smell delicious.  Turn once or twice while roasting.
  • Place almonds in a food processor and process on high for about 15-20 minutes or until the they reach your desired consistency (I processed mine longer because I like it extra smooth).  The longer you blend them the smoother and "runnier" your butter will be.  You might get discouraged thinking "this is not working" or "its not blending together". Hang in there! It takes time, but I promise it works.  The oils from the almonds eventually come through giving you a rich creamy consistency.  

  • Add in the rest of the ingredients and process for another five minutes
  • I don't think there is any set amount of time for processing the almonds.  Mine seemed to take a little longer to get to the consistency I wanted. I think a lot of it depends on the quality of your food processor, I used my Ninja processing bowl.
  • Once its at the right consistency spoon your almond butter into a small jar and enjoy!
The flavor possibilities with almond butter are endless.  You could use maple, caramel and sea salt, chocolate, vanilla, honey, agave... The list can go on and on.  If try some different add ins I would love to know how it turns out! 









1 comment: