Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Cupcake Liner Wreath

Happy 4th of July!
Happy 4th of July!
Hey everyone! Here is a wreath I made out of what??? Yep that’t right, cupcake liners! (525 to be exact).  Sorry the picture is a little dim, it was dark by the time I finished the project and I couldn’t wait until morning to post it.  I will post a better one later :) This was a fun project and surprisingly a lot easier and faster than I thought it would be.  You have probably seen a cupcake liner wreath or a coffee filter wreath before.  They are SUPER pretty because they are so fluffy and elegant.  I decided to go with the cupcake liners instead of coffee filters because I like the “short and stubby look”.  But I’m sure eventually I will make one out of coffee filters too because its so easy.  The easiest part is there’s really no method, rhyme, or way to stick the liners on the wreath.  There are so many of them bunched together that if you make a mistake, or ten, they go completely unnoticed :) .  So, without further ado, here’s how I did it!
Materials
- medium size straw wreath
-ten packages of cupcake liners
-hot glue gun and glue
-flowers
-paper
-printer and ink
-ribbon (red, blue, white)
-bendable wire
-lighter (optional)
The first thing you will do is take a single cupcake liner and wrap it around a pen.  You can kind of scrunch it around the pen so it gets a nice crinkled look to it.
The first thing you will do is take a single cupcake liner and wrap it around a pen. You can kind of scrunch it around the pen so it gets a nice crinkled look to it.
Put a dab of hot glue on the tip and press it firmly to the straw wreath.
Put a dab of hot glue on the tip and press it firmly to the straw wreath.
Continue this process, grouping the cupcake liners relatively close to each other but not touching at the bases.
Continue this process, grouping the cupcake liners relatively close to each other but not touching at the bases.
I found it best to start in the inside and work your way out and up.
I found it best to start in the inside and work your way out and up.
Continue gluing the liners.  Really there's no "right" way to do this.  Just make sure there's no straw showing and there are not thin spots where you may need more liners.
Continue gluing the liners. Really there’s no “right” way to do this. Just make sure there’s no straw showing and there are not thin spots where you may need more liners.
Almost done!
Almost done!
Once I was completely done I slightly burnt the edges of some of the cupcake liners to give it a more "antique" look. I was VERY hesitant to do this, #1 because I didnt' want to completely ruin all my hard work #2 I didn't want to burn my house down.  Still, I went on to burn the edges (in my bathtub just in case).  I would light one of the edges on fire then quickly blow it out.  It turned out pretty cool.  But if you do this step PLEASE be careful :)
Once I was completely done I slightly burnt the edges of some of the cupcake liners to give it a more “antique” look. I was VERY hesitant to do this, #1 because I didnt’ want to completely ruin all my hard work #2 I didn’t want to burn my house down. Still, I went on to burn the edges (in my bathtub just in case). I would light one of the edges on fire then quickly blow it out. It turned out pretty cool. But if you do this step PLEASE be careful :)
A close up of the burned edges
A close up of the burned edges
Now its time for the letters.  I cut a piece of decorative paper the size of a regular sheet of paper so it would fit in my printer.
Now its time for the letters. I cut a piece of decorative paper the size of a regular sheet of paper so it would fit in my printer.
I then used Microsoft Word to write "4th of July".  Notice I spaced them way out.  This is because I wanted to leave enough room to cut a triangle around each letter
I then used Microsoft Word to write “4th of July”. Notice I spaced them way out. This is because I wanted to leave enough room to cut a triangle around each letter
Here's what it looks like on my page.  (I did a trial run on a boring piece of paper first just to make sure everything was the right size).  I then made a triangle stencil and cut out each of the letters.
Here’s what it looks like on my page. (I did a trial run on a boring piece of paper first just to make sure everything was the right size). I then made a triangle stencil and cut out each of the letters.
Photo Jun 26, 8 42 50 PM
After cutting out all the letters I glued them to a long piece of ribbon.
After cutting out all the letters I glued them to a long piece of ribbon.
These are the flowers I used for the wreath.  I know I know, I should have made them, and I was on my way to the fabric department to make my own but I passed an isle with these that were all 50% off! it cost me $3.50 for all of these flowers, which is cheaper than I could have made them for, plus it saved me a lot of time ;)
These are the flowers I used for the wreath. I know I know, I should have made them, and I was on my way to the fabric department to make my own but I passed an isle with these that were all 50% off! it cost me $3.50 for all of these flowers, which is cheaper than I could have made them for, plus it saved me a lot of time ;)


I then glued my banner and flowers into place and I was done! Hope you like it!
I then glued my banner and flowers into place and I was done! Hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment