Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Crafty Chair Makeover

Hey everyone! Here goes my first post/tutorial ever!  So I have been meaning to buy a cute chair for my craft room but have put it off because anything worth buying is $50+.  Then it dawned on me to check out the local thrift store for a sturdy chair that I can give a makeover.  Voila! I found the perfect chair and redid it for MUCH cheaper than buying one brand new, plus I think it’s much cuter than anything I would have been able to buy.  So here it goes! Here’s how I did it/ my first tutorial, hope it was helpful!
Craft Chair Makeover
Materials Needed
-Chair ($15 from thrift store)
-Krylon Spray Paint Primer ($5.50)
-2 cans of Krylon Spray Paint, your choice in color ($6.50 each, but I got mine on sale from hobby lobby, 50% off!!!)
-3/4 yard of fabric ($3.50)
-Staple Gun and staples ($10.00, but again, %50 off at Hobby Lobby!!!)
Step One…
First things first you have to take the cushion off of the chair. Flip the chair over and there should be screws holding the cushion in place. Simply unscrew these (this is where and electric drill comes in handy) and take the cushion off. Once the cushion is off your going to want to dust the chair to make sure it is free of dirt and grime before you paint it.
This part is where I fail… I forgot to take a picture of the type of paint I used.  I used the white Krylon brand primer and Nickle Krylon brand spray paint.  They worked great! I chose not to sand my chair but you are more than welcome too.  Sanding it will give it a smoother finish.  I did three coats of primer, let it dry for about ten minutes, then about five coats of paint (I used two cans).  While waiting for it to dry I redid the cushion, it was SOO much easier than I thought!
Not sure who in their right mind would ever pick this fabric!  But basically flip it over and yank out all staples holding on the fabric.  Don't be afraid to rip, pull, tuck, and tear, your not saving the fabric anyway right?
Not sure who in their right mind would ever pick this fabric! But basically flip it over and yank out all staples holding on the fabric. Don’t be afraid to rip, pull, tuck, and tear, your not saving the fabric anyway right?
Once the fabric is off you will have the wooden base and the cushion.  Lots of people buy a new cushion and cut it to fit, I decided to skip that and just reuse the one it came with.
Once the fabric is off you will have the wooden base and the cushion. Lots of people buy a new cushion and cut it to fit, I decided to skip that and just reuse the one it came with.
Make sure to iron the fabric your going to be using.  You don't want your beautiful chair to have a big crease down the middle from a previous fold ;)
Make sure to iron the fabric your going to be using. You don’t want your beautiful chair to have a big crease down the middle from a previous fold ;)
Lay the cushion and wooden base down on the fabric and trace an outline around it.  You are going to want to leave a good five or so inches around the base so you have enough room to staple it to the base without it  ripping or pulling in any funky way.
Lay the cushion and wooden base down on the fabric and trace an outline around it. You are going to want to leave a good five or so inches around the base so you have enough room to staple it to the base without it ripping or pulling in any funky way.
Here's where a staple gun comes in handy.  Just pull tight and staple... pull tight and staple... don't be shy with  the staples either! Staple that thing to bits! (neatly of course)...  The corners are a little tricky but as long as you get a nice fold they should look really nice.
Here’s where a staple gun comes in handy. Just pull tight and staple… pull tight and staple… don’t be shy with the staples either! Staple that thing to bits! (neatly of course)… The corners are a little tricky but as long as you get a nice fold they should look really nice. You want to make sure to always pull tightly so you have a nice firm seat with now wrinkles or loose fabric.
Once your chair is dry just simply reattach the cushion back onto the chair with the same screws and TaDa!!! You have a beautiful and unique chair!!!
Once your chair is dry just simply reattach the cushion back onto the chair with the same screws and TaDa!!! You have a beautiful and unique chair!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment