Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Chevron Peg Board

I have been looking for a way to make my crafting supplies more accessible.  After searching the internet I found that pegboard isn’t just a “manly” board for tools, but can be used for craft supplies too (with a girly twist of course).  Plain old white is boring, so I decided to put a fun chevron design on my pegboard to dress up my craft room a little.  Here’s how I did it!
Materials
-Peg board (Home Depot $7.00)
-Blue painters tape
-Paint (doesn’t take too much, you could even use a bottle of spray paint)
-Pegs for hanging supplies (Home Depot $7.00)
2013-06-23 22.56.23
The first step is to tape on your Chevron stripes.  This was SO easy because the holes in the peg board are perfect for measuring.  I just started at the bottom left corner and marked every ninth hole.  Then mark every fourth hole for your centers.  From the forth hole (the hole in between each ninth hole) go up five holes, this will be the point of your chevron stripe.  Sorry if its a little confusing, its a lot easier done than said, but I promise it is easy :)
The first step is to tape on your Chevron stripes. This was SO easy because the holes in the peg board are perfect for measuring. I just started at the bottom left corner and marked every ninth hole. Then mark every fourth hole for your centers. From the forth hole (the hole in between each ninth hole) go up five holes, this will be the point of your chevron stripe. Sorry if its a little confusing, its a lot easier done than said, but I promise it is easy :)
2013-06-20 13.59.04
This is how it should look when you are all done! You can choose to make your chevron stripes bigger or smaller if you want.
The next step is to paint your peg board.  I just did one coat.  The tape will bubble in some spots and look like it's gonna be a disaster to remove but it's really not.  I did trace the edges of the tape with an exacto knife after it was drying, just before I pulled the tape off, because I was afraid of the paint pulling up with the tape.  By very lightly cutting along the tapes edges you are creating gap between the tape and the paint so it doesn't come up when you pull it off.
The next step is to paint your peg board. I just did one coat. The tape will bubble in some spots and look like it’s gonna be a disaster to remove but it’s really not. I did trace the edges of the tape with an exacto knife after it was drying, just before I pulled the tape off, because I was afraid of the paint pulling up with the tape. By very lightly cutting along the tapes edges you are creating gap between the tape and the paint so it doesn’t come up when you pull it off.
Ta Da! Your done! Just place the pegs where you  desire them to be and add any craft supplies you want displayed on your beautiful new peg board!
Ta Da! Your done! Just place the pegs where you desire them to be and add any craft supplies you want displayed on your beautiful new peg board!

No comments:

Post a Comment