Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Chalkin' Up A Sign

Chalkin’ Up a Sign

The space above our bed has always been empty and boring.  I have been meaning to find a quote of some kind to use but  I never found the right one… until now! Dr. Suess’s “dreams” quote melted my heart and I knew I had to use it as soon as I read it.  I found a tutorial online on how to transfer fonts from word onto piece of wood to make a sign.  I have to say, this one takes ALOT of patients and ALOT of time… But in the end I think it turned out great (aside from the fact that I spelled “you’re” wrong AND that its grammatically incorrect :( … Nevertheless It took me hours to finish this project so I used it anyway.
Materials
- big piece of wood (but you can choose any size)
-base paint
-paint for letters
-white primer or white paint
-tiny paint brush
-paint roller or larger paint brush
-Microsoft word
-paper
-white chalk
-tape
-Lots of patience!
The finished product!
The finished product!
The first thing your gonna want to do is prime the piece of wood.  I didn't have any primer so I ended up just using white craft paint which worked just fine.  this will help the base color look more vibrant and smooth.  After it has dried paint on your base color. I did mine with a roller but brush would work too.  Rollers will just add a smoother finish whereas a brush might leave some brush strokes.
The first thing your gonna want to do is prime the piece of wood. I didn’t have any primer so I ended up just using white craft paint which worked just fine. this will help the base color look more vibrant and smooth. After it has dried paint on your base color. I did mine with a roller but brush would work too. Rollers will just add a smoother finish whereas a brush might leave some brush strokes.
While the paint is drying go to your computer and pull up Microsoft Word.  Play around with the different fonts until you find which ones will work best for your project.  Once you have your phrase typed into the document blow it up, I think my font size was around 200.  But I did different fonts and different sizes.  Take time on this step.  You want to make sure the finished product wont be too big or too small for your sign.  Measure your sign, then measure where the font size on your paper, and decide which font and size works best. Print it out and tape the phrase or quote together so you can lay it face up on your sign.  Once the quote is all taped together, rub chalk on the back of it. I cannot stress enough USE WHITE CHALK!!! I used pink chalk and it did not show up as well.  White chalk will show up better on your board and make it easier to fill in with your paint brush.  That’s why some of my letters don’t look straight, because I couldn’t see the chalk and had to eyeball it haha.
Here's what my pages look like taped together and with the chalk rubbed on the back.  Once it's all chalked up simply flip it over and tape it into place.  Then simply trace around each letter with a ball point pen.  You want to press hard so you make an indent in the wood, but not too hard that you rip the paper.
Here’s what my pages look like taped together and with the chalk rubbed on the back. Once it’s all chalked up simply flip it over and tape it into place. Then simply trace around each letter with a ball point pen. You want to press hard so you make an indent in the wood, but not too hard that you rip the paper.
Here you can see where the chalk outlined each letter, making a perfect stencil for me to fill in with my paint brush.  Again, using white chalk would have made this project SO much easier...
Here you can see where the chalk outlined each letter, making a perfect stencil for me to fill in with my paint brush. Again, using white chalk would have made this project SO much easier…
I used white craft paint to fill in my letters
I used white craft paint to fill in my letters
These are the three brushes I used.  You really need a small brush for filling in tricky places, and the larger, flatter brushes were nice for filling in larger places which was a huge time saver.
These are the three brushes I used. You really need a small brush for filling in tricky places, and the larger, flatter brushes were nice for filling in larger places which was a huge time saver.
Begin painting on your letters.  This part TAKES TIME!!! This is what makes your sign so take your time to make sure you paint everything in neatly and precisely.  Its fun for about the first two hours.. Then it's just grueling lol... But hang in there! The end product is sooo worth the time ;)... Plus you guys don't have to do as big of a sign as I did, which wouldn't take as much time at all.  Good Luck!!!
Begin painting on your letters. This part TAKES TIME!!! This is what makes your sign so take your time to make sure you paint everything in neatly and precisely. Its fun for about the first two hours.. Then it’s just grueling lol… But hang in there! The end product is sooo worth the time ;) … Plus you guys don’t have to do as big of a sign as I did, which wouldn’t take as much time at all. Good Luck!!!
ALMOST done!!!
ALMOST done!!!
Finally, it's on my wall and completes my bedroom.  I wasn't too happy I spelled your wrong... But I learned my lesson "even if Microsoft Word doesn't put a red line under a word, it doesn't mean its spelled right"... But oh well, I spent too much time on it to not hang it.
Finally, it’s on my wall and completes my bedroom. I wasn’t too happy I spelled your wrong… But I learned my lesson “even if Microsoft Word doesn’t put a red line under a word, it doesn’t mean its spelled right”… But oh well, I spent too much time on it to not hang it.

No comments:

Post a Comment