Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Ancient Chair Made Modern

Ancient Chair Made Modern

2013-09-18 16.33.50
Found this “beaut” at the DI for $5.00….. yep, that’s right, $5.00… Looking at that thing is it really all that surprising? I think not.  I noticed it was marked down from $15.00 and its easy to see why.  I was even a little disheartened looking at it.  It definitely looked like it had seen better days.  Nevertheless, I have been determined to find an accent chair for my living room and I figured whats five bucks right? If this project ends in defeat it’s not gonna break the bank.  BUT, there was a light at the end of the tunnel and with some TLC it turned out to be a cute fun piece for my living room! Here’s how I did it :) ( P.S. For this project I didn’t take too many “step by step” pics, its pretty similar to the craft chair makeover I did a few months ago so if your lost on your own project you can refer back to that tutorial)
Materials
-Nasty old chair $5.00
-sander (electric is preferred, but if you don’t mind blisters doing it by hand works too)
-2 cans Krylon white Primer spray paint $3.83 each (50% off at Hobby Lobby)
-1 can Krylon white spray paint $3.83 ( again, 50% off at Hobby Lobby)
-2 yards of fabric $ 19.22 (Hobby Lobby)
Total Cost: $35.71
Painting the wood
1) The first step is to remove the base from the chair by simply flipping the chair over and unscrewing the base from underneath.
2.) Sand down the whole chair
3) Wipe down the entire chair with a damp rag.  Make sure to remove any sawdust or debris from sanding so your paint sticks to the wood better
4.) Spray on your first coat of Primer.  I found that one can= one coat for this chair. In between each coat it is important to lightly sand the wood again, key word lightly.  This just removes those annoying uneven bumps you get from spray painting and will give you a much smoother finish.  I did two coats of primer and one coat of paint.  It probably would have been better to do two coats of paint, but I was lazy and didn’t want to go back to the store haha. I think it looked fine though, It would have been worth it to go back to the store if I was painting it a different color than the primer, but seeing as how all of it was white I didn’t think it mattered too much.
5) After two coats of primer and one coat of paint let it dry and start on your cushions…
Cushions
I started by throwing away all that nasty brown oldies fabric.  Most people use the old foam cushions under the fabric as templates to cut out new ones, but these ones were still in surprisingly good condition so I decided to keep them.  The only thing is you want to make sure they are clean and sanitary.  I sanitized the cushions by spraying them down with vinegar water.  Vinegar is an all natural all purpose cleaner! It kills like 98% of bacteria.  All I did was mix half water half vinegar, spray it all over the old cushions until they were pretty damp, then wait for them to completely dry.
2013-09-14 14.22.04
1) Always make sure to iron your fabric before you start cutting2013-09-15 14.32.15
2) For the “bum” cushion I followed the same steps as I did on my craft chair makeover.  Just measure, cut, and staple :)
2013-09-15 14.38.11
3)  The back cushion was a little trickier, and I have ALOT to learn before I’m considered even a “beginner” seamstress.  So for this step I would suggest you follow a different tutorial on how to cover a cushion.  I went out on a whim on this one and decided to fly solo, teaching myself.. which worked out, but it probably would be better quality if I had gotten help.  BUT, if you want to know how I did it, here ya go :)
2013-09-18 14.53.46
4) I cut out two large pieces for the front and back, and one long piece for the four sides. I laid the cushion in the middle, making sure all the pieces were inside out, and pinned the pieces together.
2013-09-18 14.53.26
I had to make small cuts in the corners to get the fabric to lay right.  Once I had all but one side pinned (gotta leave one unpinned to insert the pillow after its sewed) I ran it through my sewing machine.  I then cut off all the excess fabric and flipped it right side out.  Then insert the pillow and hand stitch the last side closed :) .  Sorry this part of the tutorial is lacking a little.
FINALLY screw your base cushion back to the newly painted chair, add an accent pillow, and you’ve got yourself a fancy shmancy new chair!
2013-09-18 16.11.20-1

1 comment:

  1. Ummm... you are amazing! Had no idea that Ryan married someone so handy/crafty/creative!!! I'm totally going to have to try some of tricks out!

    ReplyDelete