Sunday, October 13, 2013

Almond Milk in the Raw


Firstly, I cannot believe how incredibly easy this was.  I first heard about homemade Almond Milk from my Aunt Annie last summer.  I thought it was amazing that she could make it herself but never dreamed I could make it because I didn't think I would have the time or patience, and I just thought it would be too hard.  Well, I'm glad I did because I can honestly say that I like the taste of my homemade raw almond milk MUCH better than store bought, and I EVEN like it more than regular milk! I think I'm converted.  Here's how it's made!

Ingredients

  • 1 cup Raw Almonds
  • 4 cups Water
  • 1 tsp Vanilla
  • Ground Cinnamon *to taste*
  • 2 TBS Honey *or to taste*
You Will Need
  • A good blender (I had to borrow my moms, but a cheaper blender might work too)
  • Cheese Cloth (found in the craft section at Walmart for $2.50)
  • Strainer
  • Medium sized bowl
  • Airtight jar or jug for storing

Instructions
  1. Soak the almonds
    1. First soak almonds in water overnight (this is to make them soft and ready to blend)
  2. Strain and Rinse the almonds
    1. The following day, strain and rinse your almonds and add them to the blender with 4 cups of water
  3. Blend 
    1. Blend until smooth (took me about three minutes)
  4. Strain out Almond Pulp with Cheesecloth
    1. Lay your cheesecloth (that word just doesn't sound appetizing at all, but bare with me) over a medium sized bowl and slowly pour blended mixture through the cloth and into the bowl, straining out all of the almond pulp.  I did a double layer of cheesecloth because I didn't want any almond pulp in the milk. But if you like the pulp you can just strain it through one layer.
  5. Squeeze!
    1. Squeeze out as much of the almond milk from the cheesecloth as possible, this is where all your flavor is!!!
  6. Wisk in Honey, Cinnamon, and Vanilla 
  7. Poor yourself a glass and enjoy!!!


Step 1: Soaking the almonds overnight (warning: patience required)


Step 3: Blending almonds and water 


Step 4: Straining out the pulp

Squeeeze!!!!

Here is the leftover almond pulp.... check out the cookies I made with it!

Pure Almond Milk! Doesn't it look delicious!

Step 6: add honey, vanilla, and cinnamon



Poor in an airtight jug and enjoy!


And there ya go! Told ya it was easy! 


















No comments:

Post a Comment